The Somerville Foundation is urging you to take part in the biggest challenge of the year – the 2.6 challenge!
During these difficult times people are coming together – ‘virtually’ (of course!) to support each other, whether by helping with shopping, key services or just a friendly online chat! Your charity has been around to support congenital heart patients for the last 26 years – so we’d like you to ‘come together’ to support the Somerville Foundation in our hour of need.
This challenge has been set up with the aim of replacing funding charities will lose from the cancellation of the London marathon which should take place on 26th April – which, last year, raised nearly £67 million for UK charities. With almost all charity fundraising events being cancelled, we need to raise funds to ensure we can continue to support congenital heart patients well into the future.
Part of a nationwide fundraising campaign to Save the UK’s Charities, we are asking you to dream up an activity based around the numbers 2.6 or 26 and fundraise or donate to the Somerville Foundation to help Save Our Charity. It would be wonderful to have your support.
We can’t do what we do without you – what you do is up to you!
You could make up 26 tongue twisters like that – or – bake 26 cupcakes, dance to 26 songs, flip a pancake 26 times, go for a 26 minute walk, climb the stairs 26 times, do a sponsored silence for 2.6 hours or run, walk, jog or hop 2.6 kms. Challenge yourself and have fun, as long as you stick to government guidelines on social distancing.
You can donate or take part individually, carry out a challenge of 26 repetitions a day for 26 days or get 26 of your friends and family to join a team and set up a joint fundraising page together each raising £26 which would raise a whopping £676 for the Somerville Foundation.I will be aiming for 26,000 steps on the day and our President, Professor Jane Somerville will have a Zoom chat with you in exchange for a donation!
That’s a lot of 26s! here’s some more:
If 260,000 people raised £260, or 2.6 million donated £26, £67 million would be raised in a heartbeat!
How to take part:
1. Come up with any challenge based around the numbers 2.6 or 26
2. Head to https://www.twopointsixchallenge.co.uk/ to donate £26 – or whatever you can afford – choose the Somerville Foundation or set up a fundraising page
3. Ask all your friends and family to sponsor you and challenge them to do their own 2.6 Challenge
4. Complete your challenge – either on Sunday or whenever after that is most convenient
5. Share a photo or video of your challenge on social media with #TwoPointSixChallenge and tag us: Facebook: @thesomervillefoundation, Twitter: @_Thesf or Instagram: @somervillefoundation
6. Donate direct to our website: https://cafdonate.cafonline.org/12846
We’ll share updates on our social media so don’t forget to tag us in your photos and videos
The money raised will help us continue doing what we do best – a patient-led organisation that enhances the lives of people born with heart conditions by providing services and support that empowers, motivates, inspires and enriches lives
Thank you so much